The Journal Online

Opportunities Emerge in AVID

New Teachers Take Over Program

Back to Article
Back to Article

Opportunities Emerge in AVID

Photo courtesy of Lindsey Gogniat

Photo courtesy of Lindsey Gogniat

Photo courtesy of Lindsey Gogniat

Photo courtesy of Lindsey Gogniat

Lindsay Gogniat, Staff Writer

In the 2015-2016 school year, Decatur schools introduced the AVID program. AVID, Advancement Via Individual Determination, focuses on the future of the students. This program created a chance for students to gain further knowledge about college and even a chance for them to get into college. 

Even through limited resources, some find help through this program, allowing first generation students to go to college. For others, it simply prepares them for their future.

“It’s helped me gain an insight of what colleges are looking for, and what I need to progress on and work on in school, even though I am a first generation student,” junior Skylar Aston said.

Lauren Smith, the first AVID teacher in Decatur, gave the impact she wanted in the program. She created an environment in her class that supported students when they needed it most.

“The goal with beginning the AVID program initially was to fill achievement, emotional and social gaps in students at the high school and then later at the middle school,” Smith said. “We also wanted to give the teachers some best practice, research-based, common strategies and practices that would help ALL students, not just AVID students, so that success on the campus was (and is) school-wide, impacting and unifying the campus as a whole.”

Recently, Donna Russell, the former AVID teacher, moved. Amy Chabek and Kristina Edwards took her place and continued to help students on their path to graduating. 

“I was really excited, but nervous because I was going outside of my comfort zone,” Edwards said.

Students built a relationship with all of their teachers, so when they found out each teacher left, they experienced some heart break, and some excitement for the future teachers. 

“I felt sad when Mrs. Russell was leaving because she was my favorite teacher and she was very caring, but I was excited for the new experience with Coach Edwards teaching AVID, instead of biology,” junior Sulema Pacheco said.

People involved within the AVID program feel like they play a role in “one big family”, one of the things Smith wanted her classroom environment to include.

“AVID makes me feel like I’m in a family because of the bond we have with one another,” sophomore Brianna Inguanzo said. “Both students and teachers support each other through good times and in bad, it makes each and every one of us feel important.”