The Journal Online

Prom Pressures

Dance of the year brings high stress levels

Back to Article
Back to Article

Prom Pressures

Madeline Smith, Staff Writer

Prom. A night that’s filled with laughter, dancing, and most importantly, memories with fellow classmates. Many will remember prom for the rest of their lives, and some will only remember it as a small blimp in their teenage years. But with the perfect night comes stress, the occasional tear, and the pressure that many girls feel to find the perfect dress. Whether it’s finding the dress that matches a new tan or making sure your dress isn’t the same as someone else’s, the perfect dress is crucial for the making of a glamorous evening.

With the pressure of finding the perfect outfit, finding the perfect date is another essential to others. “Promposals” are becoming increasingly popular when asking that special someone to prom. Grand gestures are made for whoever is being asked, including intricate posters that typically pair with flowers and chocolate. While many take the idea of getting a date very seriously, some prefer to fly solo depending on preferences. Those who wish to attend with a date however, face many hardships that come with such a big event. Cancellations or disputes can drastically change plans in mere minutes, often stressing the attendees even more. Although having that special someone to dance with during prom is nice, cancellations can cause more stress leading up to prom.

Along with the ultimate dress, the makeup and hair is another key concept in the preparation for prom. Flawless makeup and hair, and an overall perfect appearance is all for one evening. Despite the memorable moments during the night, the strive for the absolute best becomes a heavy weight on many girls’ shoulders. Girls dream of the special night often from the time they’re little to junior year, but the heaping amount of pressure to make their perfect night isn’t as easy as it seems.

The cost for prom can be tremendous for many, and the cost of the dresses can range in the thousands for some, not including the cost for makeup and hair. Those who aren’t able to spend large quantities of money on prom often find it difficult to meet the demands that come along with the preparations. Recently there has been offers to help finance those who can’t afford the expenses of proms, which includes renting dresses and tuxedos.

Despite the memories that come along with prom night, many stresses can cloud the moment in the weeks before. From the perfect dress, the perfect date, hair and makeup to the expenses, prom becomes another thing for many students to worry about in the upcoming spring.