Allsup named Teacher of the Year

Allsup named Teacher of the Year

Madeline Peña, Online Editor-in-Chief
April 24, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

AG teacher Jim Allsup was named Teacher of the Year today, April 24. The process to earn this honor includes, student, parent and teacher nominations. Click here to read a... Read More »

News Brief- Boys golf named district champions

Madeline Peña, Online Editor-in-Chief
April 11, 2013
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

Named district champions on Tuesday, April 9, the boys golf team will advance to regionals Monday and Tuesday, April 15-16. The team took the top three individual titles with freshman ... Read More »

Distinguished merit documentation due April 12

Madeline Peña, Online Editor-in-Chief
March 25, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

In order to graduate distinguished, seniors must fill out their documentation of advanced measures form and turn it in to their counselor by 4:00 pm on April 15. Four distinguished measures are required to receive this recognition. There are six different ways to obtain these measures. They include scoring... Read More »

GPA calculations need reconsideration

Madeline Peña, Online Editor-in-Chief
March 6, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Every February, students make new schedule choices for the following year. Some are conscientious about their GPA and base most of their selected courses on this. GPA’s should include only the calculations of core classes: math, social studies, English and science. Students focused solely on their... Read More »

Curtain Call: Morse directs final play

Curtain Call: Morse directs final play

Madeline Peña, Online Editor-in-Chief
January 21, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

Theatre teacher Lance Morse carefully looks at the students on the stage auditioning for the One Act play, The Great Gatsby.  He realizes this show may not be the best one to perform as he explains to his students, “Sometimes life throws things at you and you just have to deal with the... Read More »

Ready to share 2013′s news online

Madeline Peña, Online Editor-in-Chief
January 2, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Congratulations! We’ve survived the 2012 Apocalypse. Admit it. In the weeks prior to “the end of the world,” we found ourselves Google-searching “Mayan legends,” “What time will the world end?” or “Top 10 things you should have when natural disaster strikes.” When the apocalypse... Read More »

Bomb scare a hoax

Bomb scare a hoax

Madeline Peña, Online Editor-in-Chief
December 4, 2012
Filed under News, Top Stories

At approximately 10am, Dec. 4, students were evacuated due to a bomb threat. No bombs were found and classes resumed at 2:15 pm. “When a situation like this is deemed worthy, you meet with the SRO and from there, he contacts the police and fire department,” principal Jason Cochran said. “When... Read More »

News Brief- ‘Guys and Dolls’ to show this weekend

Madeline Peña, Online Editor-in-Chief
November 1, 2012
Filed under News, Top Stories

This weekend, the show Guys and Dolls will perform. Show times begin tonight, Nov. 1 at 7:00 pm in the theatre. Running through Sunday's matinee performance at 2:00 pm. Click here... Read More »

Senior varsity football player makes comeback

Madeline Peña, Online Editor-in-Chief
October 11, 2012
Filed under Sports, Sports Feature, Top Stories

Thirteen months ago, senior Tyler Story watched his varsity football team play from the sidelines. This year, Story made a decision to write a new chapter. “I always had the idea of returning to football,” he said.  “We visited my doctor (Daniel Cooper) and he asked me ‘What do you want to... Read More »

Skills USA member performs first aid during motorcycle crash

Madeline Peña, Online Editor-in-Chief
April 25, 2012
Filed under Feature, News, Top Stories

Standing on the helipad in front of the Air Evacuation Helicopter at the Wise Regional Health Center,  junior Brenna Prentice smiles and accepts a certificate and medal from firefighter captain and 2003 graduate Nathan Mara. On Monday, Apr. 24, Prentice was recognized  for her active use in first aid... Read More »

Carpenter signs letter of intent to Cameron University

Madeline Peña, Online Editor-in-Chief
April 12, 2012
Filed under News

Senior Annelise Carpenter signed a letter of intent, Apr. 12, for a full ride scholarship to play volleyball at Cameron University. "It's close to home, a good size school and I'm stoked to be able to play against Sara Oxford (2011 graduate) because we are in the same conference," Carpenter said. Carpenter... Read More »

Photo of the week

Madeline Peña, Online Editor-in-Chief
March 18, 2012
Filed under Uncategorized

Senior journalism students Arin Blaylock, Kellie Flesher, Lupe Perez and juniors Allie Davis, Remington May, Cristin Morgan, Madeline Peña, Paris Walther and Cole Wendling spent Mar. 11-15 in New York City. The students went to various places such as Ground Zero, NBC studios, and the New York Times. "Going... Read More »

News Brief- Varsity basketball comes to an end

Madeline Peña, Online Editor-in-Chief
March 8, 2012
Filed under News, Sports

The Decatur Varsity Boys Basketball completed the season at 23-10 and as Bi-District Champions, defeated Glen Rose 65-39. The Area Championship, Feb. 18., came to a score of 62-65 vs.Wichita Falls Hirschi. 2011-2012 Varsity Boys Basketball team Sr. #1 Austin Lamirand District... Read More »

Mock trial advances to state

Mock trial advances to state

Madeline Peña, Online Editor-in-chief
March 1, 2012
Filed under Feature, News, Top Stories

The Mock Trial team awaits eagerly as they watch Texas Mock Trial Coordinator Steve Gwinn carry a manilla folder. They form a semi-circle and tightly hold each others hands as Gwinn announces Decatur’s advancement to state. “When we got to regionals and later found out we won state I became an... Read More »

No excuses, just smile

Madeline Peña, Online Editor-in-Chief
February 13, 2012
Filed under Uncategorized

Senior Lupe Perez walks the Decatur High School hallways greeting everyone she knows with a warm, contagious smile. It’s hard to frown in her presence; her happy spirit has changed others’ outlook on life. “Her positive energy influences others to never give up and go after what they want to... Read More »

Capitol performance

Madeline Peña, Online Editor-in-Chief
February 10, 2012
Filed under Uncategorized

The iridescent sheen of sequined glasses, ties, belts and hats take command of the opening number at the Austin convention center. Mr. Cheap enters the stage with a disgusted expression and remarks that the students remind him of Elton John. The audience roars with laughter as they watch this satirical... Read More »

Oh boy!

Madeline Peña, Online Editor-in-Chief
February 3, 2012
Filed under Feature

With a quick flick of the hand, a flag soars through the air and freshman Isaac Caban catches the smooth silver pole. As the first boy to ever spin a flag for the DHS color guard, Caban enjoys this activity to its potential. “It’s not much different,” Caban said. It’s like I’m just one... Read More »

Mock trial state bound

Mock trial state bound

Madeline Peña, Online Editor-in-Chief
February 1, 2012
Filed under Uncategorized

Senior Hayley Raasch rehearses her closing argument for junior Jasmine Walia at the George Allen Court House in Dallas, Texas. In this photo, Raasch prepared for her last scrimmage against Bishop Lynch High School on Jan. 20. "I'm always insanely nervous, but the attorney inside me takes over and I... Read More »

School Board Appreciation Month- Q&A

School Board Appreciation Month- Q&A

Madeline Peña, Online Editor-in-Chief
January 30, 2012
Filed under Feature, Top Stories

Alan White How long have you been a school board member? 13 years  What do you hope to accomplish as a member of the school board? To help set the foundation for every student to be a success in life if they are willing to work... Read More »

It’s only the beginning of a new Story

It’s only the beginning of a new Story

Madeline Peña, Online Editor-in-Chief
November 11, 2011
Filed under Feature, Sports, Top Stories

Air Horns, shakers, and the loud cheers of the game fill the stadium as junior Tyler Story achieves his first catch of the season. The thrill of the leather ball clenched between his two palms give Tyler an overwhelming amount of pride. Within a few seconds the exhilaration darkens. “It was the... Read More »

Capitol performance

Capitol performance

Madeline Peña, Online Editor-in-Chief
October 24, 2011
Filed under Feature, Top Stories

The iridescent sheen of sequined glasses, ties, belts and hats take command of the opening number at the Austin convention center. Mr. Cheap enters the stage with a disgusted expression and remarks that the students remind him of Elton John. The audience roars with laughter as they watch this... Read More »