Last Forever, Literally

Last Forever, Literally

Jackie Trujillo, Editor-in-Chief
April 14, 2014
Filed under Opinion, Top Stories

Worst. Ending. Ever. Warning, there are spoilers below. My dismay for the “How I Met Your Mother” series finale possibly stemmed from the very obvious fact that I never wanted Ted, the main character, to end up with Robin, one of the female leads. Now you’re probably thinking, “Oh... Read More »

Video: Talent Show 2014

Video: Talent Show 2014

Jackie Trujillo, Editor-in-Chief
April 1, 2014
Filed under Multimedia, Top Stories, Video

Video may take a moment to load. For corresponding story for this video, please click here.

Turning Pages

Turning Pages

Jackie Trujillo, Editor-in-Chief
February 25, 2014
Filed under Sports, Sports Feature, Top Stories

After 15 years of working at Decatur ISD, athletic director Kyle Story heads to Frisco. Over Christmas break, Frisco’s athletic director David Kuykendall contacted Story to tour the facilities of Independence High School, the seventh and latest addition to the Frisco school district. Kuykendall asked... Read More »

‘Icequakeapocalypse’

‘Icequakeapocalypse’

Jackie Trujillo, Editor-in-Chief
February 17, 2014
Filed under Opinion, Top Stories

I have a love/hate relationship with snow. At first I was ecstatic about getting out of school for a day (I know, I’m a bad kid). I was happy we didn’t go to school on Friday because I kind of needed to play catch-up with my schoolwork. Throughout the day I kept thinking, “it’ll melt by the... Read More »

Roll Up The Scores

Roll Up The Scores

Jackie Trujillo, Editor-in-Chief
February 7, 2014
Filed under Sports Feature, Top Stories

Wednesday, Feb.5, senior Grayson Muehlstein signed with TCU to play football in the fall. He’s worked hard to come this far and after verbally committing last year, he takes the next step in achieving his goal. “I think it’s an awesome opportunity for him,” athletic director Kyle Story said.... Read More »

Book Review: Paper Towns

Book Review: Paper Towns

Jackie Trujillo, Editor-in-Chief
February 6, 2014
Filed under Opinion, Top Stories

I remember when I first discovered John Green’s work. It was about two years ago at a Barnes and Noble where I was motivated to buy “The Fault In Our Stars.” It caught me by surprise that I had always known who John Green was—I was subscribed to his YouTube channel vlogbrothers that he shares... Read More »

Tractor Technician Team Advances To State

Jackie Trujillo, Editor-in-Chief
January 17, 2014
Filed under News, Top Stories

The Tractor Technician team moves on to state after placing first in area for the second consecutive year. On Wednesday, Jan. 15, the team competed in the Area 5 contest in Waco. State competition is at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo March 17. Students involved in the team are juniors... Read More »

Risk Management

Risk Management

Jackie Trujillo, Editor-in-Chief
January 13, 2014
Filed under Opinion, Top Stories

In 2011, the school board made the decision to remove final exam exemptions in order to better prepare students for college exams. That being said, under the consideration of how much material students must study for, students should at least have the option of no-risk testing. In the past, the school’s... Read More »

Movie Review: Catching Fire

Movie Review: Catching Fire

Jackie Trujillo, Editor-in-Chief
November 27, 2013
Filed under Opinion, Top Stories

As the highly anticipated sequel to “Hunger Games,” this movie exceeds its predecessor. Starring Jennifer Lawrence as the main heroine Katniss, and Josh Hutcherson as Peeta, this science fiction, post-apocalyptic sequel proves to remain loyal to its book counterpart. As a book junkie and avid... Read More »

Varsity Volleyball Wins State Championship

Jackie Trujillo, Editor-in-Chief
November 26, 2013
Filed under Sports, Sports News

On Saturday, Nov. 23, the Lady Eagles varsity volleyball team won the state championship title against Bellville at The Curtis Culwell Center in Garland. “I am so very proud of the hard work day in and day out that the girls have put in this past year,” head coach Claire Benedict said. “It’s... Read More »

Angels In The Outfield

Angels In The Outfield

Jackie Trujillo, Editor-in-Chief
November 20, 2013
Filed under Sports Feature, Top Stories

He’d never met a stranger. On Saturday, Oct. 26, Richard Harvey, athletic field maintenance manager, passed away due to a stroke. “He was always friendly with everybody and willing to help you even if you didn’t know him,” coach Billy Garner said. Harvey, 60, worked at DISD for more... Read More »

Committee Revises Staff Development Policy

Jackie Trujillo, Editor-in-Chief
October 23, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

The District Education Improvement Committee introduced a new policy in which students from all campuses receive the Monday off before the beginning of each six-weeks. “What we wanted to do was build in some time for the teachers to meet together in Professional Learning Committees (PLC),” said... Read More »

Ag Mechanics Team Competes At State Fair

Jackie Trujillo, Editor-in-Chief
October 10, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

The Ag Mechanics Team competed at the State Fair of Texas Oct.8 in Dallas. They built a 8 ft X 5 ft utility trailer for the show and placed second in their class, and were awarded a blue ribbon.

New Athletics Schedule Takes Effect

New Athletics Schedule Takes Effect

Jackie Trujillo, Editor-in-Chief
September 24, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

In addition to athletic periods for first and eighth, fifth and sixth periods have been added in order to alleviate gym crowding. Freshman girl’s basketball moved to fifth period athletics while freshman boy’s athletics now takes place sixth, placing both periods back to back during lunch. Those... Read More »

Staffer Reflects Meaning Of Family

Staffer Reflects Meaning Of Family

Jackie Trujillo, Editor-in-Chief
September 13, 2013
Filed under Opinion

It’s always the same meaningless question that makes me feel dumb. “Why haven’t you visited us in a whole year?” It’s not a hard question. So why is it so hard to answer? I guess it’s because the ones asking the question are my maternal grandparents and—unfortunately—they live... Read More »

Band and choir to perform together

Band and choir to perform together

Jackie Trujillo, Staff Writer
May 16, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

With risers ready and stage set, the band and choir prepare to perform together at the spring band concert May 19. This will be the first collaboration between band and choir. “It’s nice to work with somebody else that’s in your department other than just theatre,” choir director Ashley... Read More »

Staffer reminisces over childhood memories

Jackie Trujillo, Staff Writer
April 4, 2013
Filed under Opinion

There's a bittersweet feeling whenever I see cherry blossoms. I suppose it comes from the absence of my grandparents—I'm not too sure. See, I was such a quiet little kid. I hardly ever talked and I preferred being alone and minding my own business. It just seemed easier to seclude myself because... Read More »

Staffer elaborates on testing week

Staffer elaborates on testing week

Jackie Trujillo, Staff Writer
February 28, 2013
Filed under Opinion

If there’s anything I hate more than Mondays, it’s testing week. I don’t particularly enjoy having eight classes a day—taking eight different exams in the same week I like even less. What makes this week even worse is that not only do I have to worry about my exams in my regular courses;... Read More »

Staffer elaborates on upcoming decisions

Jackie Trujillo, Staff Writer
February 12, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Someone once said that it’s choice, not chance, that defines our future. Who would have ever thought that making such a simple decision could ever be so difficult? I’ve never been any good at coping with changing aspects in my life. I even get a bit freaked out in deciding whether or not to paint... Read More »

Online resources spark debate

Jackie Trujillo , Staff Writer
February 4, 2013
Filed under Opinion

There comes a time when students are faced with a predicament: read the assigned books or use websites instead. Students should be able to use appropriate resources to help them grasp the concept of materials. However, websites should not be used as a replacement for the actual assignment. One well... Read More »

Staffer reflects on idea of resolutions

Jackie Trujillo , Staff Writer
January 25, 2013
Filed under Opinion

To me, resolutions sound like broken promises. I’m not trying to come across as mean or pessimistic, but they are. We think that just because of New Years Eve, making a “resolution” means sticking to it and I can’t even count how many times I gave up. Yeah. I fail at life. It happened on New... Read More »

Senior theatre students direct shows

Senior theatre students direct shows

Jackie Trujillo, Staff Writer
December 18, 2012
Filed under Feature, Top Stories

Costumes ready and stage set, the small cast and crew prepare to perform a show. As a part of Theatre IV, seniors are required to dab into the arts of directing a scene from a show of their choosing. The kicker: they have only one week to put it together. “I was super pumped being able to direct... Read More »

Student advances in All-Region Jazz

Jackie Trujillo, Staff Writer
November 11, 2012
Filed under News

On Nov. 11, Cryer was ranked as the first chair tenor in the All- State Jazz Ensemble. “What happens happens,” senior Will Cryer said, explaining the process of contests. Out of 23 students in jazz band, 18 participated in the All Region Jazz Band Contest Sept. 15. Seven of those advanced to... Read More »

Staffer reflects on dog’s passing

Staffer reflects on dog’s passing

Jackie Trujillo, Staff Writer
October 11, 2012
Filed under Opinion

I hate saying goodbye. I hate a lot of things, actually. For instance, I don’t like that I can’t seem to get enough sleep.  I despise that I have to work so hard and achieve so little. But most of all, I hate that every minute of every day seems rushed. I realized that I’ve had difficulty... Read More »

Therapy dog passes after over a decade volunteering, working

Jackie Trujillo, Staff Writer
May 23, 2012
Filed under Feature, News

Loving. Patient. Calming. Obedient. Those are words that both students and teachers used to describe the memory of Mr. Burch, the district’s emotional therapy dog and loving companion of Career Skills teacher Carol Chapman. Chapman adopted Mr. Burch around 12 to 13 years ago for her birthday from... Read More »

Staffer thanks mother for hard work

Staffer thanks mother for hard work

Jackie Trujillo, Staff Writer
May 13, 2012
Filed under Opinion

Mother’s day. It seems like nowadays, there’s little appreciation for moms worldwide. I mean, here we are, taking for granted what they do for us (or what they’ve been doing for us for the past sixteen years). So let me just take the time to say thank you. Thank you to my mother, thanks... Read More »

Changing Perspectives: Students discuss cultural adjustments

Jackie Trujillo, Staff Writer
April 19, 2012
Filed under Feature, Top Stories

Imagine moving to a country where everyone is a stranger. A place where the people speak a completely different language and there’s a sense of anxiety. Junior Miguel Ortiz knows the feeling. Originally from San Luis Potosi, Mexico, he immigrated to Texas four years ago. “My dad already lived... Read More »

300 words- Hannah Riggs

300 words- Hannah Riggs

Jackie Trujillo, Staff Writer
March 30, 2012
Filed under Feature, Top Stories

Keep holding on and don’t give up. That’s the main message junior Hannah Riggs aims for when she writes her poetry and music. “I remember being a child and doing music nights at my house and how my dad would always talk to me about what the music and lyrics behind it meant and reasons why... Read More »

Retracing Steps

Retracing Steps

Jackie Trujillo, Staff Writer
February 1, 2012
Filed under Feature, News, Top Stories

After six years without instructing, former assistant principal Terri Ulberg takes on the job of teaching Spanish once again. Ulberg first began her teaching career in 1991.  Her sister motivated her to take on the job after Ulberg helped her with college entrance exams. “She said that the way... Read More »

In the eyes of the beholder

Jackie Trujillo, Staff Writer
January 26, 2012
Filed under Feature

Warm. Comfortable. Joyful. Simple words that come to mind when thinking of the holidays. Christmas is that excuse to get out of school in order for students to spend time with their families and friends. And if the holidays weren’t hectic enough, imagine doubling the frenzy. For Robert Sellers,... Read More »

Video: 1 in 885- Kyle Hubbard

Video: 1 in 885- Kyle Hubbard

Jackie Trujillo, Staff Writer
January 24, 2012
Filed under Entertainment, Feature, Top Stories, Video

300 Words: Kyle Hubbard Junior Kyle Hubbard always knew music was special to him, especially if it involved God. Now he seems to be making new beats from the sound of his heart. “I’ve been surrounded with music my whole life,”... Read More »

Between a rock and a hard place

Jackie Trujillo, Staff Writer
December 31, 2011
Filed under Opinion

There’s just something about being assumed that I’m good at something when I’m not, that irritates me. I’m not one to complain, but it all began to happen at the beginning of this year. Since there is no longer French, I was required to enroll in Spanish I. I don’t have anything against... Read More »

Video: How do you save money?

Video: How do you save money?

Jackie Trujillo, Staff Writer
November 15, 2011
Filed under Entertainment, Multimedia, Video

Video may take a moment to load.

So close, yet so far away

So close, yet so far away

Jackie Trujillo, Staff Writer
October 21, 2011
Filed under News, Top Stories

The clock ticks away as the Texas Legislature no longer funds for early graduation scholarships. Due to the state legislature cutting roughly $4 billion from public schools, college is now an even bigger stretch for some. “I think it’s very difficult to graduate early as it is,” counselor... Read More »