Patel travels to India

Patel travels to India

Cristin Morgan, Print Editor-in-Chief
March 5, 2013
Filed under Feature, Top Stories

Sitting on a flight for 23 hours, from Dallas to Mumbai, was the first of many stops for sophomore Mital Patel. “The flights were really long,” she said. “I just watched movies, and on the way back I did homework.” Leaving on Dec. 4, 2012, Patel heads to India for a month and a week stay. “I... Read More »

The final act: Theatre performs final production under Morse’s direction

Cristin Morgan, Print Editor-in-Chief
January 15, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

The curtains rise one last time under the direction of Lance Morse. He has served ten and a half years as the Decatur High School’s theatre director and the next performance, The last days of Judas Iscariot, will be his forty-fifth play, as well as his last. Over the Christmas break Morse... Read More »

Another step in life

Cristin Morgan, Print Editor-in-Chief
October 17, 2012
Filed under Feature

Around 8 p.m. she is driving home from Christmas shopping in Southlake when she receives a phone call from Dr. Jill Farmar. “I knew. Why else would she be calling me at 8 at night, other than this is not good news?” Susie Benedick, Decatur High School campus secretary recalled. “My first reaction... Read More »

Grove competes in State Fair

Grove competes in State Fair

Cristin Morgan, Print Editor-in-Chief
October 12, 2012
Filed under Feature

The smell of fresh pies, cakes, breads and cookies approach the judges as they enter the room. They begin tasting all the baked goods. They come across the chess pie category, and find Cyndy Grove’s homemade Lemon Chess Pie is a taste worth remembering, a first place taste. Counseling secretary,... Read More »

Seniors participate in global treasure hunt

Cristin Morgan, Print Editor-in-Chief
October 5, 2012
Filed under Feature, Top Stories

Hiking through the LBJ Grasslands with a broken GPS, four seniors were lead astray during a hot summer day. Lost in the woods, they walk around for five hours in 110 degrees determined to find the treasure, or what they call a geocache. “We had to hike through these insanely dense woods,” Cole... Read More »

Staffer shares Mother’s Day strength

Staffer shares Mother’s Day strength

Cristin Morgan, Print Editor-in-Chief
May 13, 2012
Filed under Opinion

Moms. Everyone has one. She’s the person who asks about my school day, celebrates my little victories, encourages me when I’m down, forgives my mistakes, understands me, values me, and notices the things that makes me, me. My mom isn’t like any ordinary mom; she’s different. She always tells... Read More »

Golf team advances to regionals

Golf team advances to regionals

Cristin Morgan, Print Editor-in-Chief
April 23, 2012
Filed under News, Top Stories

Decatur Golf stepped into regional competition with a team of five and placed fifth out of 16, scoring 668. “I really enjoyed this year,” Coach Roger Brown said. “The team had great work ethic in the mornings lifting weights and running. They were very dedicated and put a lot of work in after... Read More »

High school student writes, directs his own play

Cristin Morgan, Print Editor-in-Chief
February 13, 2012
Filed under Uncategorized

Suicide. Eating disorders. These are not just happening in movies; they are reality. A Decatur High School actor saw this and decided it needed to be recognized. Reality needed to be heard. “It has a good moral, and it shows you this is going on today and it’s not... Read More »

‘Working lunch’ program showing positive early returns

Cristin Morgan, Print Editor-in-Chief
February 13, 2012
Filed under Uncategorized

“On time, every time,” Principal Jason Cochran said. That is Decatur High School’s new motto in regard to students’ class work. Because of this motto, the school started a new program this year – working lunch. When students have missing assignments, they go to working lunch to complete... Read More »

Technology-smart

Cristin Morgan, Print Editor-in-Chief
February 13, 2012
Filed under Uncategorized

Teens embedded in Facebook, Pinterest, Skype and texting have become the generation with technology minds. “I think they were born into a world that was already technology advanced,” Cecilia Barham, Decatur public library director, said. “They adapt to technology a little more quickly.” Barham... Read More »

NewsBrief- Swim team competes at regionals

Cristin Morgan, Print Editor-in-Chief
February 12, 2012
Filed under News

Friday, Feb. 10, the Decatur Swim Team went to regionals. All relays made it to finals on Saturday, Feb. 11. The girl’s 200 yard medley relay placed 8th. In the 200 freestyle, Haley Dennard placed 7th, with a time of 2:10.54. In the 50 yard freestyle, Katey Rowden placed 1st, swimming a 25.48. Rowden... Read More »

Intro to “College 101″

Intro to “College 101″

Cristin Morgan, Print Editor-in-Chief
February 5, 2012
Filed under Uncategorized

A new adventure awakens every morning in college. Everyday is a new day. One might be stressful, another fun and the next amazing. Whatever adventures freshmen take in college, are lessons preparing them for the real world. As seniors weave their way through senior year, college starts to kick in,... Read More »

Better to give than receive

Cristin Morgan, Print Editor-in-Chief
February 3, 2012
Filed under Feature

As Christmas rounds the corner, so does something else: hope. The community is becoming involved in different types of Christmas organizations. Sunday, Dec. 4, Decatur Women’s Club hosted Tour of Homes. “Tour of Homes is our major fundraiser for... Read More »

New kid on the block

New kid on the block

Cristin Morgan, Print Editor-in-Chief
February 2, 2012
Filed under Feature, News, Top Stories

Football. Baseball. Algebra I. Geometry. Coach. Steven Valkenaar’s past career include all these subjects, now he adds assistant principal to the list. “This is my first rodeo as assistant principal,” Valkenaar said. “I am looking forward to getting to know students, teachers and staff... Read More »

Spot On- Cheyenne Harlow

Spot On- Cheyenne Harlow

Cristin Morgan, Print Editor-in-Chief
January 27, 2012
Filed under Entertainment, Video

Spot On is a video series in which people talk about themselves for thirty seconds. Whether it be the new kid in school or an administrator, Spot On covers every individual.

Old School

Old School

Cristin Morgan, Print Editor-in-Chief
January 26, 2012
Filed under Feature, Sports

As the basketball season whips around the corner, a new coach is back in town for the JV team and assistant varsity. Coach Larry Hicks returns. “He’s a great advantage for our program,” varsity boys coach Roger Brown said. “He has great coaching experience.” Brown and Hicks coached... Read More »

Giving Back to the community

Giving Back to the community

Cristin Morgan, Print Editor-in-Chief
January 26, 2012
Filed under Feature, News

Fifteen years and counting, Skills USA welcomes the holiday season by funding 21 angels from the angel tree. “We have been doing the angels for five years now,” Skills USA sponsor Ricky Stutt said. “But we have been participating in the Spirit of Christmas for 15 years.” It started out... Read More »

The Christmas I will never forget

The Christmas I will never forget

Cristin Morgan, Print Editor-in-Chief
January 26, 2012
Filed under Opinion

Nineteen hours in a truck. Stuck in two feet of thick snow. Not much food. No bathroom. No kleenex to blow nose.  Phone’s dead. And freezing. Dec. 22 My family of five head to Amarillo, in our truck, to see family for Christmas. Dec. 23 That night we feast... Read More »

Service with a smile

Service with a smile

Cristin Morgan, Print Editor-in-Chief
January 26, 2012
Filed under Feature

They wait in the cafeteria at the administration building anxiously. Walking around making sure everything is ready to go, they watch as time goes by. Twice a month the life skills students prepare and serve to the administration. On Nov. 15, they served baked potatoes, salad and cookies. Each... Read More »

A Dailey life

A Dailey life

Cristin Morgan, Print Editor-in-Chief
January 26, 2012
Filed under Feature, Sports

Every morning cross country coach David Park sees the face of twin  juniors Macky and Gunnar Dailey for practice at 5:45. “I’m thrilled that they do cross country,” Park said. “They always seem in a good mood.” Park shares the Daileys with softball, baseball, basketball, football and... Read More »

Coke vs. Dr. Pepper

Cristin Morgan, Print Editor-in-Chief
December 31, 2011
Filed under Opinion

Coke- Journalism teacher Cindy Berry Five years ago, if you’d ask me whether I liked Coke or Dr. Pepper, the answer would be without hesitation: Coke. Then my neighbor Candy moved in next door, and the ongoing battle between Coke and DP ensued between us – a friendly battle of... Read More »

‘Setting’ high standards

‘Setting’ high standards

Cristin Morgan, Print Editor-in-Chief
December 15, 2011
Filed under Sports

As the ball meets the setters hands, the crowd cheers louder. The setter pushes the ball back into the air and another teammate hits it over the net. “KA-BOOM!” With four setters on the teams, three are freshmen and they all look up to senior Joey Redwine. “I hope to become as good as... Read More »

From the page to a stage

Cristin Morgan, Print Editor-in-Chief
November 17, 2011
Filed under Entertainment, Feature

Imagine. Yellow whos. Purple who world. Orange and green trees. Pink clovers. This year’s musical core message is imagination. “The show is about not losing your imagination, not following the norm and trusting in yourself to believe and know the truth,” theatre director Lance Morse said. Ranging... Read More »

College 101

College 101

Cristin Morgan, Print Editor-in-Chief
November 15, 2011
Filed under Feature, Opinion, Top Stories

Project Bloom

Project Bloom

Cristin Morgan, Print Editor-in-Chief
October 31, 2011
Filed under Feature, Top Stories

This past summer sitting in a conference room on her training trip, it clicks on what she wants to accomplish to make a difference. Senior Brooke Millican, applies for the Ford Leadership Scholar program and out of 450 other applicants she earns her way into the ten finalists. “I had to go through... Read More »

Get Involved

Get Involved

Cristin Morgan, Print Editor-in-Chief
October 21, 2011
Filed under Feature, Top Stories

If interested in any clubs, students can sign up or apply for them during “Rush Week” Sept. 26-30. “Rush Week” is when all the different groups allow other students to come and receive information on each organization. Below is a list of clubs and who to contact.  Art Club- Create... Read More »