Memories Last Forever

Memories Last Forever

Nancy Torres, Staff Writer
April 3, 2014
Filed under Opinion, Top Stories

Recently, I marked a line across three words written on my bucket list: ‘Visit New York.’ So when someone asks if I ever marked something off my list, with a smile on my face, I will answer yes. I’m sure most people long to visit places on their ‘bucket list.’ I traveled to many places here... Read More »

Ahead Of The Game

Ahead Of The Game

Nancy Torres, Staff Writer
March 21, 2014
Filed under Feature, Top Stories

The Texas Academy of Mathematics and Science (TAMS) is a unique program for Texas high school students interested in math and science. In this two-year program, students complete an academic curriculum of college coursework at the University of North Texas. Sophomore Renae White attended an interview... Read More »

Helping Out

Helping Out

Nancy Torres, Staff Writer
February 26, 2014
Filed under Feature, Top Stories

Help comes in many different ways, and one of them is feeding fellow teachers. Students in Brandy Mayfield’s class set up tables, brew coffee and prepare food for teachers so they learn different living skills such as social and cooking skills. It all started three years ago with an idea to help... Read More »

Welcome To Texas

Welcome To Texas

Nancy Torres, Staff Writer
January 30, 2014
Filed under Opinion, Top Stories

First of all, I love the summer. The season to wear shorts and t-shirts, to never have to worry about having to take a jacket because it might get cold, because duh, it's summer. Even in the summer, wind can be so refreshing. Or even by stepping out from the cold house, sun hits me and embraces me... Read More »

Listen Up

Listen Up

Nancy Torres, Staff Writer
November 15, 2013
Filed under Opinion, Top Stories

Wait, what did he say? Did you hear what he said? Ha no. Exactly. No one ever listens in class unless it has to do with something you’re really interested in; for example the new GTA 5 or that new high fashion designer bag that just came out. But then when you suddenly hear that there’s that big... Read More »

School Welcomes Child Nutrition Director

Nancy Torres, Staff Writer
October 22, 2013
Filed under Feature, Top Stories

With the new school year, taste is changing as the school welcomes a new Child Nutrition Director. “I became the new director on July 1,” Child Nutrition Director Shelly Laaser said. Laaser attended Decatur and graduated from Decatur High. ... Read More »

Student receives Star Greenhand Award

Student receives Star Greenhand Award

Nancy Torres, Staff Writer
May 29, 2013
Filed under News

Saturday May 11, freshman Seth Byers competed and was named the Star Greenhand at the area competition in Prosper. “Seth was recognized with the Star Greenhand award in front of over 500 FFA members, including parents and guests,” Agricultural Science teacher Mark Goggins said. Recommendations... Read More »

Staffer expresses thoughts on future

Staffer expresses thoughts on future

Nancy Torres, Staff Writer
March 20, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Thinking about what becomes of me in the future feels scary. Curious about my personality in the future, where I am going to live, and what my life ends up to become. But it seems like I need to have knowledge about what my life ends up to turn out like, right? I am going to go to college for a career... Read More »

Fans exhibit nontraditional spirit at varsity basketball games

Nancy Torres, Staff Writer
February 6, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

Hula skirts, camouflage jackets and ugly Christmas sweaters are not the typical attire worn to a Varsity Basketball game. Senior Ben Blattner and a group of friends attend basketball games, expressing their support to fellow basketball players. Not only by attending games they encourage the players,... Read More »